Tuesday, October 16, 2007

An Email to My Mom

Dear Mom,

I received the voicemail that you left last night. I appreciate your love towards me and I love you. Like I said when I spoke with you yesterday afternoon, I will call you every other week. You can also contact me by email too.I just feel all that we could say to each other was said in yesterday's phone call. I think we will be just going in circles. I know that the Book of Mormon is true, that Joseph Smith , Brigham Young, Art Bulla are true servants of God. I know I am on the right road in my life and I would hope that you will repent and be baptized. I wish you will respect my life as I have decided to live.

Jesus said:

37 He that loveth father or mother more than me is not worthy of me: and he that loveth son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me.
38 And he that taketh not his cross, and followeth after me, is not worthy of me.
(Matthew 10:37-38)

"The integrity of the early Latter-day Saints, in remaining true to the gospel when a crucial test came, has always strengthened my faith; and I wonder if the boys fully appreciate the integrity of our parents. I desire to call the attention of our young people to a few incidents that have come under my observation, and the reasons why these people remained true.

"There was a young man living in one of the villages of Sweden who had grown to manhood and was a respected member of his father's family, and an honored member among the young people of the village. He had received a liberal education, and finally secured a lucrative position in a near-by city. He had not been located long in the city until he was a recognized leader among the young people of the place. As he was walking down the street one evening, he was attracted into a building where some "Mormon" elders were preaching the gospel. He was so impressed with the truth of what he had listened to that he invited one of the elders to his room, investigated further, and finally accepted the truth, was baptized, had the hands of the elders laid upon him, and received the Holy Ghost. When he received this witness for himself, he was so over-joyed that he could not rest until he had persuaded one of the elders to go with him to his father's home, and to take the glad tidings to those he loved best on earth.

"One cold, stormy day, the new convert and the elder started for the home of this young man who was delighted at the thought that his dear parents were going to receive the truth. He told the elder that he had one of the most honorable fathers, a kind and loving mother, brothers and sisters that he loved, and what a welcome they would receive when they arrived; there would be a warm fire to dry their wet clothes, and a choice supper would be cooked by mother; and he told how glad all would be to receive them; and, best of all, they would receive the gospel.

"Finally they arrived, cold, wet and hungry, but this was soon forgotten in the hearty reception they received. After the first greetings were over, they gathered around the warm fire, and the delighted mother was soon busy in the kitchen preparing the evening meal, and savory odors soon permeated the room. The young man was so over-joyed at the prospect of his parents receiving the gospel that he could not wait for supper to be served, or for them to get their wet clothes dried; but, being filled with that happiness that a knowledge of the gospel brings, told his father that his companion was a "Mormon" elder, and that he himself had accepted the gospel, and had brought the elder to bring the glad tidings to those he loved best on earth. But what a change those simple words produced! The father arose from his chair, called his wife and family around him, and said, "There is the boy we have doted on; the one we have looked upon to bring honor to his father's household; and, instead, he has brought shame and disgrace upon us." Then walking to the door, he opened it; and, pointing to the storm outside, he said: "My son, we all love you; we have looked forward with pleasure to the honor you would add to our name; but choose ye between the love of father, mother, brothers and sisters, the fireside of your youth and your honorable name, and this detestable religion, the storm and the night, and the casting of you out from our hearts and our homes!

"The young man looked for sympathy, but the same cold stare met him from each one present, and he was stunned and chilled to his heart. Then came upon him the many happy scenes of his youth, the love of father, mother, and all the tender ties of home; but, with tears in his eyes, and a lump in his throat, he buttoned his coat, put on his hat, and walked out into the night, an outcast from all that he loved best on earth.

"Why did the young man make this kind of a choice? Was he not human? Did he not love father, mother, brothers and sisters, and home? Why did he not say to that elder; "I was mistaken; there must be something wrong with a religion that will cause a person's loved ones to forsake him, and I prefer the love and honor of my home." But he did not do that, and the reason he did not, was because of that testimony that burned into his very being, and compelled him to admit that the gospel was true, and he could not deny it.

"His employer, learning that he had joined the Church, discharged him. His friends and companions no longer recognized him as they met him on the street. Why was this? Changes were taking place with other people. Many joined the Catholic, Presbyterian, and other religions, and their friends did not forsake them. Why should his forsake him, because he joined the "Mormons?" and, at this stage, why did he not turn back? He remembered the saying of the Savior: "He that will not forsake father and mother," etc., and the testimony remained with him, and he remained true to the faith."

(Improvement Era 1902)

Sincerely,

Aaron Kim

Labels: , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home