Monday, July 12, 2010

The 1886 Revelation; Art Bulla on BlogTalkRadio - http://ping.fm/8r4IB

Original Air Date: July 11, 2010
The 1886 Revelation

‘‘But this much I know from the lips of my Aunt Nellie. She was going to her work at the temple one morning, right after this new declaration on plural marriage that they issued, I think in 1933; ... And she met Joseph Fielding Smith, and they stopped and chatted a few minutes, and she said, ‘Brother Smith, I’m very much surprised at that statement in the paper this morning.’ And he said, ‘How so, Sister Taylor?’ ‘Well’, she said, ‘You surely know about that revelation.’ He said, ‘do you know about that revelation, Sister Taylor?’ She said, ‘Why, certainly.’ ‘Do you know where such a revelation might be?’ She said, ‘Yes.’ And he said, ‘Well, Sister Taylor, you would confer a great favor upon the Church if you would bring that to me as Church Historian.’... After Brother Taylor had it in his hands, he got to thinking; and he thought, ‘Well, I don’t believe that it’s proper to give this to the Church Historian. I think I should take it to the Prophet himself.’ So he took it in to President Heber J. Grant. They had been boys together and close friends on up through the years, and he said: ‘Heber, was my Father a Prophet of the Lord?’ ‘Why Frank, why do you ask that? Of course he was. We all know that.’ And he said, ‘Would you recognize the handwriting of my Father?’ He said, ‘Yes I would know your Father’s handwriting well.’ So he passed this out and said, ‘I want you to read that (1886 Revelation), and tell me if that’s in the handwriting of my Father.’ Well he did and President Grant said, ‘Well, it certainly is the handwriting of your Father-I know that as well as I know anything.’ And Frank Taylor asked, ‘How do you expect to get around that?’ he said, ‘I don’t expect to get around it.’ ‘Well then, Heber, if I were you, I would be very careful with what I said.’ Private Interview with a Niece of Nellie Taylor; Transcript in Possession of Lynn and Stephen Bishop of Draper, Utah.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home